In 1845, John Ewing, a blacksmith, started a sole proprietorship. John Ewing & Co. offered blacksmithing, horseshoeing and wagon wheel repairs. The business, located on Dalhousie Street in Toronto, was sold to Mr. George Armour Myles shortly after the turn of the century. Mr. Myles, with the help of his two sons, grew the business and added mobile welding services to their operation. As business demands grew, John Ewing & Co. added the installation, repair and field welding of hand rails, emergency fire escapes, flagpoles, and metal fences, as well as field welding of steel pilings, structural steel, and steel bridges.